Six pallets of Friend School of Minnesota Plant Sale catalogs arrived at school over spring break. The catalogs are dispersed all over the Twin Cities by some of the 1000 volunteers that make the sale a success each year. Like robins and sloppy slush, the arrival of the Plant Sale catalog is a sure sign that spring is here!
The Friends School Plant Sale is is a vital fundraiser for the school
As Friends School of Minnesota business manager Garth Morrisette notes:
- The plant sale is like having a $5,000,000 endowment.
- Revenue from the plant sale currently accounts for about 8% of FSMN’s annual revenue.
- Last year, there were over 10,000 sales transactions at the plant sale.
- The “round-up” alone brought in over $13,000 last year.
- The FSMN Plant Sale is one reason why a little Quaker school of 168 students can give out over $500,000 in need-based tuition aid each year.
Our fundraiser has grown from a single table to 2.5 acres of plants. Over 10,000 shoppers will come Mother’s Day weekend to choose from over 2500 varieties of plants.
The Plant Sale is run by volunteers
The Friends School of Minnesota Plant Sale is run by volunteers, many of whom devote countless hours year-round to make everything run smoothly. FSMN middle school students also spend time helping to set up the sale and will be on hand on Friday to help customers.
What’s new this year?
- New Sunday hours for the 1/3 odd sale (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- 350 new varieties of plants
- Bee symbol to help you select plants helpful to bees.
- Indoor plants (houseplants) move to under the Grandstand central stairs
- The Garden Fair will have lots of new offerings
- An interesting line-up Saturday workshops about bees, bonsai, worm composting, and saving seeds.
- New and improved wristband booth in the Garden Fair
Everything you need to know to plan and enjoy the 2013 Friends School of Minnesota Plant Sale is on the website: http://friendsschoolplantsale.com
The Friends School of Minnesota Plant Sale will be held at the Minnesota State Fair Grandstand on May 10,11, and 12, 2013 hours
Thanks to everyone for supporting our school!
– Garth Morrisette & the Friends School Plant Sale Committee