Today, we say goodbye to head of school Lili Herbert after more than 20 years. She came as a parent and has served as teacher, middle school director, and interim head, as well as head of school since 2006. We cannot begin to express how much she will be missed. Thank you, Lili, for everything you have given the Friends School of Minnesota community!
Lili’s parting words:
I want to thank you all for the privilege of serving Friends School of Minneosta over the past twenty-some years. I am tremendously grateful.
Five things I will treasure forever about Friends School:
- I will forever treasure that my job has been to do what I believe is the most important work there is: to prepare children to be good people.
- I will treasure the opportunities I’ve had to contribute to the promise of Quaker education. I firmly believe Friends education provides hope for the future. So to have been a piece of this great community working toward our mission has been an honor.
- I will treasure that I have been able to make a difference to even one student or staff or parent. It has been my deep privilege to do so.
- To have belonged to this community has changed my life. I have been able to give, and have received far more than I could ever give. I want to thank all of you students, friends, and parents for this gift.
- I will treasure forever my incredible colleagues, who blow me away with their wisdom, skill, and dedication. You are truly awesome. And you also make me laugh every day.
FSM is a strong and healthy school and is far more than any one person within it. I am excited to be moving on to focus on the Master of Divinity program at Earlham, and on my writing. Who knew how fascinating Quakerism and Quaker history could be! I can’t wait to see where you all and Latrisha take FSM in the future.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you all for the privilege of serving FSM.
Because it speaks to her about her work at Friends School, Lili’s favorite quote is from Frederick Buechner, who describes vocation as “where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.” We look forward to hearing all about Lili’s new vocations!